Thursday, August 11, 2011

Freezing Eggplant

 We planted 2 eggplant plants in the Spring...we have never had so many..we gave them away...ate quite a few and yesterday I decided to freeze them. I found the directions on line and there were 2 options..steaming and boiling in water...I chose boiling in water.  I cut the two ends off and peeled them.....sliced into 1/2 inch slices and dropped in boiling water...boiled 4 minutes...remove and put in a bowl of ice water.
 Removed from ice water and placed on a towel to absorb some of the moisture then in a freezer bag.
Here they are just out of the ice water.  I don't expect these to be frying quality because of the moisture.  Did you know that you can add eggplant in a tomato based sauce..like spaghetti...and you will never know they are in there. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=22
Click on the above link for the vitamins in eggplant.  There are many more in the garden so I will probably be doing this again....the process is quick and easy.

Aug 16, 2011  I picked 8 small eggplants this morning. I processed these a little different.  I sliced them about 1/3" thick and dropped in boiling water for 4 minutes, removed them from the water and dropped in ice water. After chilling I laid them on paper towels to absorb some of the water ...I then stacked them on top of each other with a layer of wax paper between.  These are for frying.  I do not know what the end result will be but I thought it was worth a try instead of just throwing them on the compost pile.

1 comment :

  1. Interesting, I have let so many go bad when I couldn't get to them - I never knew I could freeze them! I tried dehydrating some last summer but wasn't thrilled with the results. I'll have to give this a try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete