Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bountiful Harvest of Butternut Squash

This is the first year we planted butternut squash and we must have done something right...there are 19 here and that's not counting what we have eaten.  Three vines produced all these and a dozen more that we ate or gave away.  They can be interchanged with pumpkin...I think B. squash are sweeter. A simple way to prepare them is: cut in half and scoop out the seeds...I tried roasting the seeds with not a lot of success...just did not like them.  After you have cut in half, place them cut side down in a microwave safe bowl..I use corning ware, with about 1/2 inch of water...cover and cook until tender..this will vary depending on the size...after about 4 minutes turn the squash over and continue cooking.  When they have cooled enough to handle, scoop out the squash...I use the large end of a melon ball scoop ... put in a small bowl. This is my creation...it can be varied using spices that you like.  I put about a cup of brown sugar in a bowl...then add nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves (a little goes a  long way) and stir...store in air tight container like Tupperware.  Add desired amount to squash, stir lightly...butter can also be added. We like this as much as sweet potatoes, which is what I kept the topping for before  making the B. squash this way.  Next time I make stuffed butternut squash I will post that recipe.

2 comments :

  1. You must have a green thumb. I have never ate any, but sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are beautiful, there's a green thumb & good dirt going on there lol I've never tried butternut squash I may have to rethink the butternut squash lol
    Helen

    ReplyDelete