Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Progression Photos of Moonflower

11:50 a.m.

2:20 p.m.

5:38 p.m.

5:38 p.m.

8:25 p.m.

9:22 p.m.

My sister gave me this plant about 6 weeks ago.
I was going to plant it in the garden but these summer
temps of 100 I decided to leave it in the pot
and I am so glad I did. It probably would not have  bloomed
if I had replanted it. I fed it with blossom booster 3
month fertilizer and it sits just outside my garage.
We have had quite a bit of rain and the plant has more
than tripled in size. At one stage of the blooming it looks
like a folded white hankerchief.
 Click on the pictures for a
better view. The only down side of this plant is that the
bloom only last a day.

I hope everyone has a really great day!
Maxie

3 comments :

  1. Hi Maxie - thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment regarding my vining moonflowers (Ipomoea alba) now blooming. They are related to the various Morning glory vines.

    Just wanted to advise you about your plant, also called moonflowers by many, but a completely different plant named Datura inoxia. I wanted to let you now that although a beauty, all parts of Datura is highly toxic to humans, pets and wildlife, and banned in some areas of the US. We recently saw they were removed from the entrance of a local community theatre here for safety's sake I'm sure!

    I don't want to sound pessimistic dear, just want you to be aware in case children and pets are in the area where you have the plant. I notice it's in a pot, a good idea as you can move it to a safe area perhaps.

    You can go to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/Datura_meteloides) if you want more info. on the plant.

    Enjoying reading your blog - you certainly have done some awesome canning, know you'll be eating well all Winter!

    Have a beautiful day in Georgia.
    Mary - A Breath of Fresh Air

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be fun to see how long these flowers will hold up. Even tho they only last a day, they keep coming new ones. I like the August flowers best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! I've seen one but never tried to grow one! Enjoy the week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete