Friday, November 18, 2011

Fruitcake...

Yesterday I made a fruitcake..have made one for the last 5 or 6 years...though last year I did not due to the high price of candied fruit. There is about $30 worth of fruit in this recipe and 4 cups nuts...we have our own pecan trees, so that was not a big expense. Last year the day after Christmas, Publix (grocery store) had all their candied fruit for $1.00 so I stocked up..put it in the freezer and almost one year later take it out and it is as fresh as the day I froze it. These are the ingredients, taken from a Southern Living Cookbook.

Fruit, raisins, nuts with 1/2 cup flour

Butter, sugar, egg yolks, flavorings, flour

Batter mixed with the fruit and nut mixture..the egg whites are beaten until soft peaks form and are folded in last.

Goes in a large pan..you can add more candied fruit on top but I like the nuts..cooked in 250 oven

4 hours later...right out of the oven pour 1/4 cup brandy over the top.

I soaked a generous piece of cheese cloth with brandy and wrapped it around the cake which has been removed from the pan....put in a tupperware cake plate and put in the refrigerator. I usually let it sit for 3 weeks, the brandy becomes part of the cake and you will not taste the alcohol.
YUM - YUM

3 comments :

  1. Ill have to try this out looks wonderful I happen to be a fruit cake lover...yea there are a few of us around, right?

    - KAT -

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really will be incredible! I like fruitcake and talked my hubby into stopping in Claxton, GA last year for fruitcake from the factory there. I can't eat sugar any more...so this is something I will miss! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked the fruitcake to see if the cheese cloth was drying out and could not help myself...I had to try it and it is soooooo good. It will probably be gone by Christmas.

    ReplyDelete